Sunday, July 27, 2014

Concurrency and multi-core MCUs (GA144) in my house monitor

My house monitoring system monitors lots of sensors. This suggests a multi-core approach, doesn't it?

The problem with (the current concept of)  multi-cores is that they are typically ruled by a monolithic operating system. Despite what goes on in each core, there is one single point of failure: the operating system. Plus, without core affinity, our code may be moved around.  In a 8 core Intel processor, you are NOT guaranteed to be running a task per core (likely, for execution efficiency, your task is load balanced among the cores).  Each core is beefy too. Dedicating a whole core to a single sensor sounds very wasteful.

This, I believe, is flawed think  in our current concurrency model (at least as far as embedded systems go).

I want multiple "nodes" for computation. I want each node to be  isolated and self reliant.  (I'm talking from an embedded perspective here -- I understand the impracticality of doing this on general purpose computers).

If I have a dozen sensors, I want to connect them directly to a dozen nodes that independently manage them.  This isn't just about data collection. The nodes should be able to perform some high level functions.  I essentially want one monitoring app per node.

For example: I should be able to instruct a PIR motion-sensor node to watch for a particular motion pattern before it notifies another node to disperse an alert. There may be some averaging or more sophisticated logic to detect the interesting pattern.

Normally, you would have a bunch of physically separate sensor nodes (MCU + RF),  but RF is not very reliable. Plus, to change the behavior of the sensor nodes you would have to collect and program each MCU.

So, consider for this "use case" that the sensors are either wired or that the sensors are RF modules with very little intelligence built in (i.e. you never touch the RF sensor's firmware): RF is just a "wire".  Now we can focus on the nodes.

The Green Arrays GA144 and Parallax Propeller are the first widely-available MCUs (I know of) to encourage this "one app per node" approach.  But, the Propeller doesn't have enough cores (8) and the GA144  (with 144 cores) doesn't have enough I/O (for sake of this discussion, since the GA144 has so many cores I am willing to consider a node to be a "group of core").

Now, let's consider a concession...
With the GA144, I could fall back to the RF approach.  I'll can emulate more I/O by feeding the nodes from edge nodes that actually collect the data (via RF).  I can support dozens of sensors that way.

But, what does that buy me over a beefy single core Cortex-M processing dozens of sensors?

With the Cortex-M, I am going to have to deal with interrupts and either state machines or coroutines. (although polling is possible to replace the interrupts, the need for a state machine or coroutines remain the same).  This is essentially "tasking".

This can become heinous. So,  I start to think about using an OS (for task management).  Now I've introduced more software (and more problems).  But can I run dozens of "threads" on the Cortex-M? What's my context switching overhead?  Do I have a programming language that lets me do green threads?  (Do I use an RTOS instead?)

All of this begins to smell of  anti-concurrency (or at least one step back from our march towards seamless concurrency oriented programming).

So, let's say I go back to the GA144. The sensor monitoring tasks are pretty lightweight and independent. When I code them I don't need to think about interrupts or state machines. Each monitor sits in a loop, waiting for sensor input and  a "request status" message from any other node.
In C psuedo-code :

while (1) { 
  switch(wait_for_msg()) {
    case SENSOR: 
       if (compute_status(get_sensor_data()) == ALERT_NOW)
          send_status(alert_monitor);
       break;
    case REQUEST:
       send_status(requester);
       break;
  }
}

This loop is all there is.  The "compute_status" may talk to other sensor nodes or do averaging, etc.
What about timer events? What if the sensor needs a concept of time or time intervals?  That can be done outside of the node by having a periodic REQUEST trigger.

(This, by the way, is very similar to what an Erlang app would strive for (see my previous post GA144 as a low level, low energy Erlang).

Now, the above code would need to be in Forth to work on the GA144 (ideally arrayForth or PolyForth), but you get the idea (hopefully ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment