Friday, February 03, 2012

My smallest SMD solder job yet...

Components are getting too small.  For your consideration, a really neat sounding temperature sensor from TI: TMP104.  It features look nice: 

  • Accuracy: ±0.5°C Typ (–10°C to +100°C)
  • 3 μA Active IQ at 0.25 Hz
  • 1 μA Shutdown
  • SMAART Wire Interface
  • Temperature range of –40°C to +125°C
  • Package: 0.8-mm (±5%) × 1-mm (±5%) 4-Ball WCSP (BSBGA)
What's there not to like? Wait a minute... 0.8-mm x 1-mm 4-Ball BGA?  Damn.
Okay, so how small could that really be?  I ordered a couple and I got this:
Yeah, that's it next to a grain of rice. A long grain of rice.

So, I figured I have to give it a shot.  I need a decent temperature sensor for my project, so I whipped out the fine tip soldering iron and the thinnest strands of wire I could snip...

and this is the result.  Yeah, it's that little guy up top above the massive MCU.

Once again, for a little perspective:
A quick view under a 10x microscope and it looks solid (if not pretty). I put a couple of drops of Krazy glue to hold the wires down to keep it safe.

Unfortunately, it will take a while to make sure it works... I have to figure out this SMAART wire protocol thingy.

No comments:

Post a Comment