Sunday, June 06, 2010

Ideas are dangerous things...

A movement starts with an idea. A revolution starts with an idea. An invention starts with an idea.
Ideas are volatile things.
...There are thoughts enough
To blow men’s minds and tear great worlds apart 
 My thoughts were in embedded systems for the past 4 years.  Four years ago I left behind large systems development.  I went minimal -- 8-bits in fact.  Improbable as it seems, I managed to get back into Forth development. I've spent the last 8 months writing Forth code on a 16-bit MCU (MSP430).  The project is ending and the product is about to be delivered.

My thoughts now turn to vacation.  But, once on vacation, my thoughts will wander back to computers. So, what's next?

I'd like to finish my embedded system CFT projects, but of course, my mind wanders.

My mind is wandering here  and here.

A while back, I read (and mentioned)  Reaching Escape Velocity (and Gonzo Engineering).  Steven Roberts suggests that you find your all consuming project and pursue it.

The problem is, I don't have such a project in mind.
Maybe my true passion isn't making things.

I love ideas.  I think I am a programmer (rather than inventor) because I often don't need to build something. Sometimes it is just enough to think it (and most importantly share it).  Ideas are like.

So, I am not sure what I am going to do next.
So whatever your hands find to do
You must do with all your heart
There are thoughts enough
To blow men’s minds and tear great worlds apart

There’s a healing touch to find you
On that broad highway somewhere
To lift you high
As music flying
Through the angel’s hair.

Don’t ask what you are not doing
Because your voice cannot command
In time we will move mountains
And it will come through your hands  -- John Hiatt, "Through Your Hands"

No comments:

Post a Comment